Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Genesis 12:3 Revisited

17 January 2017: I had been having a significant problem of late with the concept espoused by many of 'remedial judgment' coming down from our God, who has always known the end from the beginning, as some sort of Divine spitball for this or that perceived injustice (cursing) against Israel according to the Genesis 12:3 formula.

It occurs to me that Genesis 12:3 has two parts, both a blessing and  a cursing based upon how Abram would be treated by others because from His seed the whole Earth was to be blessed in the future (Jesus our Messiah) (Jacob's prophecy of Genesis 49:8-12).

Many in this pre-70th Week era use Genesis 12:3 in application only to Israel, yet they mindlessly forget that Ishmael was also the physical progeny of Abram. Are we subject to God's cursing for our cursing of Ishmael's progeny's prophetic assault upon the whole non-Islamic world? 

I do not see where God distinguished in this covenant with Abram which of his descendants were worthy of blessing or cursing based upon how they they're treated in perpetuity to the end of time as we have known it.  I see something else entirely. I see that God said to Abram, Genesis 12:7 (Geneva Bible): "Unto thy seed will I give this land." 
 
Then I see that the Spirit-filled apostle Paul, in Galatians 3:16 (Geneva Bible), gave us the true meaning of Genesis 12:7: "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, and to the seeds, as speaking of many: but, And to thy seed, as of one, which is Christ." I would encourage one and all to invest some time in studying Galatians 3 in-depth.

Beyond this we are commanded to love our enemies, despite the fact that virtually all of Abram's descendants through Ishmael are our, and Israel's, existential enemies. 

And also even beyond that, Jesus said in John 5:22 (Geneva Bible), "For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son..." 

And then there's the blessing part of Genesis 12:3 which should be in equal portion to the cursing. What, given that so many people have been taught what I now consider to be an erroneous meaning of Genesis 12:3, will be said during the Trump Administration when Israel is extremely and greatly blessed like she hasn't been in over 25 years, and something like a Katrina or Andrew visit our fair shores, or the New Madrid Fault shakes our national core, or the San Andreas Fault creates oceanfront property near Barstow? How could America be cursed by God amidst such blessings upon Israel?

On a near daily basis of late I am seeing great fear, yes real fear, among our brethren bride of Christ here in the US and in Europe; they fear because they have been taught incorrectly the meaning of Genesis 12:3. 

For my part I will no longer teach Genesis 12:3 as it had been taught to myself.  I will teach that ALL nations receive judgment during the 70th Week, including Israel, as the angel Gabriel prophesied to Daniel (9:24); that God will send no "remedial judgment" on the bride of Christ for the sins of those whose names may not be written in the Book of Life, but rather that we are looking up for the Father to send His Son for our Harpazo.

8 comments:

  1. Todd,

    Thanks for the quick and on-point "AMEN" response!

    A life-long soccer fan here. Tottenham Hotspurs in BPL. I played as a youth, HS and College ('70s), Over 21 league in NJ and FLA, and in Europe ('80s), NATO South, Naples, VfB Stuttgart, Rota, and in UK/Scotland (former RAF Edzell). Former coach in local youth league. Much prefer watching BPL than NFL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a lifelong Arsenal fan I forgive you and say let the banter begin Sean:) wow are spurs playing well right now though...

    Great soccer background you have; as a coach by profession to this day I just think it has always been fun to use the gifts God gives to the full, mine happen to be coaching and leadership and my tool happens to be soccer. Thankful how you have used your gifts!

    Anyway, back to most important matters. A quick question for you. I have seen many call the Paris Conference a "flop" and I agree that the Holy Spirit acts as a great "restrainer" through His Bride the Church, so I think there is much happening in the spiritual realm that will thwart the plan of man as well as the plan of satan. So, to the point, I do see restraining, but I do not see it as a "flop," rather as a continuous war waged spiritually. I think many an end times war not the least of which Psalm 83, Isaiah 17, Jeremiah 49 and Ezekiel 38/39 which seems to be the primary one that others point to as coming closer with the Paris conference. I in fact expect breaking news from now to the inauguration. What am I missing? I also think that Britain being the restraining arm also sounds a bit like the "young lions of Tarshish objecting"--I know we are not there yet. It just feels to me that something is about to escalate. I see so many act like Paris was a "flop" and I think it is another example of birthing pains and I actually expect a firestorm after Paris until inauguration as the spiritual realm wages war and go tit for tat.

    I guess we just watch from the wall because time will tell. I am thankful for the restraining work of the Holy Spirit and wonder what your insights are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, I would like to point out respectfully that God told Abraham "in Isaac shall thy seed be called."

    Gen. 21:12,13
    But God said to Abraham, Do not let it be displeasing in your sight because of the lad or because of the bondwoman. Whatever Sarah has said to you, listen to her voice; for in Isaac your seed shall be called. Yet I will also make a nation of the son of the bondwoman because he is your seed.


    Romans 9:7, 9
    ...nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but in Isaac shall your seed be called... Fot this is the word of promise: At this time I will come and Sarah shall have a son.


    Hebrews 11:17,18
    By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, In Isaac shall your seed be called...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's 3 points on the table amongst brothers - at least we're both in top four at present. We've got a fixture on 29 April @ White Heart Lane; two previous were draws, bragging rights?

    I said Sunday's meet in Paris was a flop primarily because nothing of a political nature came of it; none of the 'sanctions' even were discussed.

    However, they did promise to meet again in 2017, yet I doubt that it will have any consequence even if they do indeed meet. I think a new meeting later this year is not likely with the US again in a leadership position, and France likely to have new populist leadership itself.

    Britain did not put its signature to the final communique, and that was a good thing also.

    I'm still expecting the unexpected between now and Friday, and expect Trump to be tested early on in his administration. Continued watching is my SOP for the near-term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon,

    Yes, I am aware of that Scripture, and regard it as further upholding of the Abraham, Isaac, Jacob/Israel, Judah seed lineage of Christ Jesus.

    Others are free to think of Genesis 12:3 as they choose; I simply choose not teach that any longer from this blog; my focus is on the prophetic 'end game' that is strongly afoot in 2017 and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean, I think this post is an excellent reminder for us with all the misinformation out there. As Christians we can be at peace knowing we are His.

    Gal 3:26 For ye are all the sons of God by faith, in Christ Jesus.
    27 For all ye that are baptized into Christ, have put on Christ.
    28 There is neither Jew nor Grecian, there is neither bond nor free, there is
    neither male nor female; for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

    29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs by promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN Jmoll106! And thanks for going to Galatians 3 for us as this ties the base truth of Genesis 12:3 and the purpose of this post.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can submit a comment; all comments are moderated for content.

Featured Post

Positional Statement on Salvation

19 January 2016: It has become necessary due to recent events that I present a Positional Statement which explains in detail per Script...